Re: 2.12 Press Release ready for translation

On Fri, 2 Sep 2005, Baris Cicek wrote:

> It would be very interesting if we put GNU/ prefix to every GPL
> application, wouldn't it? What RMS insisting using GNU/Linux is kind of
> marketting of open source nothing more. It's already pointed in licence
> so it's useless to use it on application names. Application names are
> what authors would like to use. We should not change them.

You may want to read a couple articles on this issue.  First,
it's not about calling Linux "GNU Linux", and Linux is not a GNU
project anyway.  It's about calling the system GNU/Linux, since
indeed more than XX%(how much really? 30? 50?) of the code that
you run on your machine is GNU project.  The GNU part is really
much more important to the user than the Linux part is.  I don't
mind using a GNU system with a Solaris kernel, but I cannot stand
dumb buggy limited non-GNU implementations of Unix tools, be it
ls, wc, sed, cc, or anything.

Application names are what authors would like to use, and GNU
Emacs authors use GNU Emacs, I as the author of it use GNU FriBidi,
and it's truy about many other GNU maintainers.

And your point about "It's already pointe in license" is off.
Many applications and libraries use the GNU General Public
License.  This doesn't have anything to do with them being part
of the GNU project or not.  They are using the GNU GPL.  That's
not acknowledging the amount of valuable tools from the GNU
project that are in the system you are advertising.

GNU behdad

> On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 20:04 +0300, Alexander Shopov wrote:
> > > How about the location at the begining of the text. Are translators
> > > allowed to change "BOSTON, Mass" with their city/country name?
> >
> > Heh, I already converted the Bulgarian translation to Sofia ;-))
> > And I've used the proper name GNU/Linux where appropraite.
> > C'mon guys/girls - we are a GNU project after all.
> >
> > Best regards:
> > al_shopov

--behdad
http://behdad.org/