Wasted resources (was: Rosetta web based translation tool)

On 18/05/2005, at 2:40 AM, Jaap Haitsma wrote:

Pootle sounds very interesting, especially the fact that it can handle multiple file types. (po, mozilla, openoffice etc.)

Yes, it's very adaptable. I've just translated a manpage on Pootle. :)

Now it would be nice if there was going to be just one central place on the web where the translations would take place. Now there will be a lot of duplicated effort of translators. (people using pootle, rosetta, cvs/svn ). There could be an official GNOME web based translation site, but I think it would be even better if translator of a certain locale would all work together. This is especially true for small languages.

I agree wholeheartedly, Jaap! The thing I've noticed most since stumbling into the i18n arena, and which frustrates me the most, is how fragmented it is. You meet the same hard-working translators and co-ordinators everywhere, doing the same job over and over in ways which vary for no apparent reason, but because they belong to that project. With so few resources (especially, as you note, for languages with few translators: we have three, worldwide), it's so wasteful and inefficient to duplicate like this, and spend so much time learning to use the local procedures.

OSS _should_ be about sharing our resources and working together. When will this happen in i18n?

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhÃm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

á thÃnh phá Renmark, tái mián sÃng cáa Nam Ãc