Re: translations of the press release

Hi guys,

Glynn Foster wrote:
Hey,

Hrm, in which case, why are we using Star Office if we don't need the
layout? Seems like it creates an extra layer of hassle having to
translate the content

It's a way to get the plain text to the press, but the press don't actually take it as plain text. I don't know for sure, but the last clue from Leslie suggested that they take it as .doc.

Why? What's the rationale for needing the markup? What benefit does it give to the original text? I'd be very strongly against sending any press release we do as .doc - there's really no need.

I more or less regularly work together with a press relations agency to help them translate press releases.

Press releases are for getting your message, whatever it may be, across to the public via "the press" (any media). That means you have to provide the material in whatever format "the press" *feel* comfortable with.

Competition for getting seen is fierce, so we'd better make it easy for the press to get and handle the story.

So I'd say provide the press release in many various formats, be it .sxw, .html (an ordinary web page), .pdf, .rtf, .doc or .txt, generated from one template.

Then, one can always still make an open source point by presenting an open source format as the standard, and then point to the "other" formats, saying "also available as...".

BR,
Gudmund