Re: Translating release notes

man, 21 02 2005 kl. 13:39 +0100, skrev Murray Cumming:
> Hi, translators.

> The release notes are written in docbook format, in the releng cvs
> module. I don't think we have any special way to deal with docbook yet
> like we can deal with po files. So I will just create a translations
> directory and you can add a directory under that for each locale.

Done with the initial Danish translation, 243 strings are now
translated, I have some comments though:

I noticed some things which might be bugs.

1. During generating of xml files I get the following warning:

   Generating xml-da/rnutilities.xml... Warning: image file
   '../figures/figure-fileroller.png' not found.

2. The translator-credits does not seem to be used?

3. Some strings does not seem to be translated in the generated xml.
   When I view the xml with Yelp, I find the following not to be
   translated:

GNOME 2.10 now includes the popular Totem video player, using GNOME's
GStreamer multimedia framework. Totem provides the intuitive user
interface that GNOME users expect, with automatic hardware detection
instead of complex configuration.

The much-loved Sound Juicer "CD ripper" easily extracts audio from CDs
for later playback on your PC or portable music player. Thanks to
automatic downloading of song titles, you won't need to click more than
a couple of buttons.

Now you can even browse for other Gnome Meeting users on your local
network without discovering their contact details first. And you can
view your own video output side by side with the video from your
conversation partner, so you see what they see.

Selecting a keyboard layout is now simpler with the Keyboard control
panel. Just click Add to choose from a list of international keyboard
layouts. Before making your choice you can see the effect of key presses
in the layout preview. The Layout Options section has also been
reorganized as a simpler list of choices.

GNOME 2.10 introduces a new applet for controlling your Modem,
integrated with GNOME System Tools.
GNOME 2.10 features an optional trashcan for your Panel. Just like the
trashcan on your desktop, you can now drag and drop files and other
items into the trash without minimising your open windows.

GNOME 2.8 allowed you to easily mount your digital media, such as CDs,
DVDs, and USB memory sticks. Now the volume mounter applet helps you to
use these volumes without the difficulty of finding their icons on the
desktop, behind your open windows. The applet shows the currently
mounted (or unmountable) volumes, allowing you to mount them, eject
them, or open them in the file manager.

The weather monitor can now show even more locations then before, and
the location names have been translated into non-english languages where
appropriate. In addition, the forecast now includes sunrise and sunset
calculations for most locations.

NOME now includes an applet to monitor your laptop's processor speed.
The CPU Frequency Monitor watches variable-speed processors (such as
those with Intel Speedstep or AMD PowerNow) to show their current
status. You may even choose a different speed if you don't have
automatic frequency scaling enabled.

Many people will be glad to see that it no longer suggests saving
changes when all changes have actually been undone. And in addition it
even starts faster than previous versions.

The GNOME archive manager can now open more types of archive, including
AR, Debian, and 7-zip archives, and password-protected RAR archives. And
if you use the single-click preference in the file manager, then the
archive manager will now use single clicks too.

The GNOME Dictionary now suggests words when you aren't sure how to
spell something. The definitions also contain links to external
dictionary web sites, and the definitions can be printed.

The GNOME Floppy Formatter utility now supports removable drives, such
as USB drives, using the standard HAL system from freedesktop.org.

Happy hacking!
--
Martin Willemoes Hansen