Re: Translating release notes

On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 13:36 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> We've had these discussions several times and the numbers we now have a
> are a result of this.

The last time I recall this was discussed on this list, was that the
number of speakers is not even important at all. It's the number of
people who can read the written language as it is that's important.

> While the number of speakers of a language in one country might be
> controversial, I've never seen any big fuss about the worldwide counts
> in our release notes. Not a problem.

Oh, I've seen that. A difference of 19M people for Azerbaijani is
important. The debaters do it to the total. The ones who claim there are
only 17M Azerbaijani speakers in Iran don't assume the 19M difference
live somewhere else. They assume there are no such 19M speakers.
Considering that the whole population of the Republic of Azerbaijan is
only 8M, this is very important.

roozbeh