Re: Merging po strings of gal (retired) into evolution

Thanks for your reply, Danilo. :)

On 21/06/2005, at 6:56 PM, Danilo Åegan wrote:

If gal is to be merged with evolution, could we please consider
removing the more than 85% obsolete strings which bloat the evolution
file so appallingly? Before we make it bigger still?

You should do that yourself for your language only.

I didn't know you could do that. I thought we had to leave them there. :(

The catch is that obsolete strings, while obsolete, are still considered part of translation. If those strings re-appear, they'll get reused from those "obsolete" translations by msgmerge (used by intltool).

Some strings can certainly be removed, since we're pretty confident
that they won't reappear (such as locations), and I have already done
that for translations I maintain (sr.po and sr Latn po).

That's exactly that: it's evident that some strings would not be re- used. So I can remove them for my .po file?

If you need someone to go through the evolution file and remove all
strings which have obviously been replaced (e.g. old-style country
and language names), I am willing to do that. That file is a pain. :(

Please don't do that, except possibly for Vietnamese: each translation team coordinator should be in full control of their translation, unless agreed otherwise (like in this case). And, as noted above, obsolete strings are actually useful.

I wouldn't do it at all, unless permitted. I was just volunteering, in case it was a task that needed doing, and nobodá had time. It's not exactly something I want to do, but that file is so unwieldy, and the thought of adding _more_ strings (gal) to it is discouraging. :(

Surely 85%+ obsolete strings is unrealistic? You could never use them all again, unless you did it in rotation over an extended period of time. Statistically, it doesn't make sense.

<grumbles>

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

á thÃnh phá Renmark, tái mián sÃng cáa Nam Ãc