Re: Merging po strings of gal (retired) into evolution

Today at 5:00, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> If gal is to be merged with evolution, could we please consider
> removing the more than 85% obsolete strings which bloat the evolution
> file so appallingly? Before we make it bigger still?

You should do that yourself for your language only.

The catch is that obsolete strings, while obsolete, are still
considered part of translation.  If those strings re-appear, they'll
get reused from those "obsolete" translations by msgmerge (used by
intltool).

Some strings can certainly be removed, since we're pretty confident
that they won't reappear (such as locations), and I have already done
that for translations I maintain (sr.po and sr Latn po).

> If you need someone to go through the evolution file and remove all
> strings which have obviously been replaced (e.g. old-style country
> and language names), I am willing to do that. That file is a pain. :(

Please don't do that, except possibly for Vietnamese: each translation
team coordinator should be in full control of their translation,
unless agreed otherwise (like in this case).  And, as noted above,
obsolete strings are actually useful.

Cheers,
Danilo