Re: rosetta

On Sun, 2005-07-03 at 12:35 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> On 03/07/2005, at 10:23 AM, Nikos Charonitakis wrote:
>
> > anything you translate for rosseta will have no effect to GTP.
> > Sadly it only affects ubuntu distribution unless you take the
> > responsibility to bring it back to GTP.
>
> I don't know whether they've improved the currency, but I put a lot
> of work into translating the huge Gaim file on Rosetta, only to find
> the current file, 75% translated, on Pootle. Boy, was I peeved!

We fixed that partially some months ago already, We are asking now
all .po files to upload a new .pot. Since then, most request were from
upstream maintainers that wanted to use Rosetta as they way to translate
their applications.

> Currency is a big issue: if you're translating anything away from the
> main Gnome (KDE, Debian etc.) project, you want to make sure you have
> the current file, or you can waste a lot of time translating
> something that won't be used. :(

Our plan is that we reach an status where most .po files are imported
automatically into Rosetta so the translator only needs to translate and
send the changes upstream.

Nowadays you need to download the .po file, translate and send it
upstream anyway... We are trying to speed that process, that's all.

> With Pootle, you can upload the current files you've taken from your
> l10n page, and they're working towards CVS/SVN dynamic checkout and
> commits.

Any kind of automatic commit will require that you coordinate with
upstream anyway so I hope you don't think the solution to all
coordination problems is an automatic commit system...

The solution is coordinate with upstream to reduce work duplication, we
try to do that (Rosetta and Pootle teams) and we will get better ways to
improve the coordination, but anyway, you should still know that you
need to talk with upstream translators.

Cheers.