Re: Planner doc translation with xml2po

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 16:28 -0500, Kurt Maute wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 13:24 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> > The default setup when using gnome-doc-utils (which includes xml2po) is
> > to use seperate po files for documentation.  If the main documentation
> > is
> >
> > /path/to/MyProject/help/manual/C/manual.xml
> >
> > Then gnome-doc-utils puts the po file for es in
> >
> > /path/to/MyProject/help/manual/es/es.po
>
> > I don't do any translation work, but Danilo worked with me on setting
> > this all up, and he seemed to think this worked well.
> >
> > You might want to try setting up Planner to use gnome-doc-utils.  The
> > only project (other than g-d-u itself) using it right now is bug-buddy.
> > It does seem to be working rather well.  I'm sure there are problems,
> > but the more projects that use it, the easier it will be to find and
> > fix the problems.
>
> Shaun, do you actually merge the .po file during the package build?
>
> My thought was to keep the es.po file in CVS for use in future
> translation updates, but not use it during the build.  Instead, I was
> thinking of keeping a planner/docs/user-guide/es/planner.xml to use in
> the build.

Both the po files and the generated DocBook files are put into the
tarball by gnome-doc-utils.  So people building from tarballs don't
have to build the DocBook (and therefore don't need xml2po), but
they can rebuild it if they choose.  This approach seemed like a
decent compromise, though it will inflate the size of the tarball.

--
Shaun