Re: Planner doc translation with xml2po

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 13:24 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 20:11 +0100, Richard Hult wrote:
> > The es po file is probably not UTF-8, so it should be converted.

ok, I'll give that a look. Tnx.

> > Hm, I don't think we should put the user guide into the regular po
> > files, that would make it a lot harder to keep the regular translations
> > up to date and get them fully translated. What do other projects do with
> > regards to translated user guides?

Yeah, what Shaun suggests below was basically my thinking.

> The default setup when using gnome-doc-utils (which includes xml2po) is
> to use seperate po files for documentation.  If the main documentation
> is
>
> /path/to/MyProject/help/manual/C/manual.xml
>
> Then gnome-doc-utils puts the po file for es in
>
> /path/to/MyProject/help/manual/es/es.po

> I don't do any translation work, but Danilo worked with me on setting
> this all up, and he seemed to think this worked well.
>
> You might want to try setting up Planner to use gnome-doc-utils.  The
> only project (other than g-d-u itself) using it right now is bug-buddy.
> It does seem to be working rather well.  I'm sure there are problems,
> but the more projects that use it, the easier it will be to find and
> fix the problems.

Shaun, do you actually merge the .po file during the package build?

My thought was to keep the es.po file in CVS for use in future
translation updates, but not use it during the build.  Instead, I was
thinking of keeping a planner/docs/user-guide/es/planner.xml to use in
the build.

--
Kurt Maute <kurt maute us>