Re: Supported languages in 2.12

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 14:36 +0430, Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> ... and I guess a few teams would appreciate it if gtk+-properties and
> gnome-applets-locations are removed from the list, since the first one
> is practically invisible and the second one is barely visible at all
> (well, only if a Basque or Thai user is really interested in monitoring
> weather in Africa or South America, that is.
>
> I guess the 80% number, which comes from string in the UI, should not be
> applied to these two. Location names are not *really* in the UI.

Some other point to add:

This is also a very heavy bias (in statistics) toward languages that use
the Latin script. Most of these can practically copy most of the names
directly for most of the cases, while others like us poor Persian
speakers who use the Arabic script (which is not even an alphabet in the
European sense, it's technically an abjad) need to find the
*pronunciation* of each single place name (some of them are even hard to
find on the Internet) and transcribe them.

It's something like: If you want to claim that GNOME is translated to
your language, you should find a few people with double majors in
geography and, say, Spanish.

roozbeh