Re: Supported languages in 2.12

Hi Clytie,

Today at 12:39, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> On 24/08/2005, at 4:41 AM, Danilo Åegan wrote:
>
>> Please be patient: I'll be updating the notes only once or twice, and
>> I'm going to do that near the end of the cycle, instead of doing it a
>> dozen times.
>
> Thus coping with several indignant translation teams at once. ;)

Yeah, and you just had to push it :-P

> I don't know if the "supported languages" percentage is calculated
> over all of Gnome, or, for the release notes, just Gnome 2.12, but I
> think Vietnamese should also be listed, going by the most recent
> weekly translation status:

If it's in the weekly translation status, then it will be in the
release notesâI am using exactly the same data for both :)

(fwiw, if anyone wants access to entire database with such global
statistics as can be seen in weekly stats for a period of more than a
year, for instance to create nice graphs of fluctuation of number of
supported and partially supported languages, I'd be glad to let them
have it â I have data for every day except when there was a problem
somewhere :)

> I'd hate to see all our effort go to waste. ;)

No need to worry at all :)

> World-wide Vietnamese-speaking population: a minimum of 84 million
> people

Just don't make a big fuss out of this figure: I will be using value
from
  http://www.ethnologue.com/14/show_language.asp?code=VIE
which is 68 million instead, but if you are going to cause me problems
because of this, I will oblige :)

It's just a very rough estimate to give human touch to the translation
stats, and by no means does it mean that so many people will be able
to use the translation (some may not even be able to read, most will
not have a computer AND Gnome on it, etc.).

Cheers,
Danilo