Re: gnumeric functions?

Op do, 25-08-2005 te 11:38 +0300, schreef Yavor Doganov:
> On a more general note, some people have expressed concerns that
> localising the functions send experienced Gnumeric users back in the Stone
> Age, e.g. they have to learn everything from the beginning.
> Following users' pressure the OOo team has dropped the translated
> functions.  I am unwilling to do this for Gnumeric, but is there any way
> to allow the user to choose on_the_fly?  I've been pointed by a programmer
> that it is (maybe) possible to include some (pre)logic in the code, so
> that gettext to be called for a particular function only if a user option
> "foo" is selected.  I have a bad feeling that this, if at all possible, is
> terribly complicated.
As I have understood the situation is as follows:
Right now, you can only tranlate the function descriptions, not the
functionnames, (well you can translate the names in the description of
course). The function-names that people use in the formulas remain
English for now. There has been talk of getting translated function
names in the interface as well but it's not implemented yet. Once it is,
I guess there will be an option to turn it on or off, exactly for the
reason you mentioned: to not force people to relearn all the function
names.

Tino