Re: gnumeric functions?

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:33:37 +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:

> gnumeric-functions has disappeared from my team's status pages, and
> since it was such a nightmare to translate, I devoutly hope it hasn't
> become obsolete or otherwise gone out of circulation. Could someone
> please tell me what happened to it?

This is most probably due to CVS errors and will reappear on the next
update(s).  It is not obsolete, don't worry ;-)

On a more general note, some people have expressed concerns that
localising the functions send experienced Gnumeric users back in the Stone
Age, e.g. they have to learn everything from the beginning.
Following users' pressure the OOo team has dropped the translated
functions.  I am unwilling to do this for Gnumeric, but is there any way
to allow the user to choose on_the_fly?  I've been pointed by a programmer
that it is (maybe) possible to include some (pre)logic in the code, so
that gettext to be called for a particular function only if a user option
"foo" is selected.  I have a bad feeling that this, if at all possible, is
terribly complicated.

What feedback the other teams have received regarding this issue?  In
Bulgaria usually such discussions result in flames...

/* I haven't translated gnumeric-functions yet, so this is a
bit pointless :-) */

--
Yavor Doganov			JID: doganov jabber minus273 org
Free Software Association - Bulgaria	       http://fsa-bg.org