Bugzilla and typos (was: Re: Announcement: string change in gnome-control-center, about-me capplet

On 08/08/2005, at 10:01 PM, Tino Meinen wrote:

It wouldn't have caught the to/too error in this case. A grammar checker
perhaps would, but a grammar checker would barf on so many messages it
wouldn't even be fun.

That's true, but there are a lot of simple spelling errors which a spellchecker _would_ catch, so I still think it's worth while.

I do understand about the limitations of spellcheckers: you can't use one with my language at all, since it's all monosyllabic words combined differently for different meanings. :(

What would really help is an easy and quick way to report a spelling
error, other than to fire up your browser and file a bug in bugzilla. I
know if you report bugs a lot, you can make a report in about 1 - 2
minutes, but being able to do so, in say, 15 seceonds would be super.
(about the same time it would take to write an email to a mailing list)

I find the Advanced Form for bug report is much quicker: two pages instead of several. Mind you, I had to ask them to hack their login code, because my ISP has a rotating server farm for HTTP, which meant that despite cookies, I had to log in again for each page of Bugzilla ... it's been much easier since that.

Probably what takes the most time is paging down the huge list of Gnome modules, to find the one you need to report... ;)

I recall that the bugbuddy people were thinking about adding such a 'spelling error mode' to bugbuddy, but I'm not sure about that. It may just be wishful thinking on my part...

It would be good to have a category for it, as for translation errors: they're not bugs in the functional sense, but they do damage the effect of the program, and in major cases, interfere with its normal function.

What do you think would make the bug-reporting process quicker? I report bugs to Debian using email, but you need to set specific headers in the body of the email, so it's not really any quicker, if you normally have your browser and mailer open anyway.

from Clytie (vi-VN, Vietnamese free-software translation team / nhÃm Viát hÃa phán mám tá do)