Re: need a little help with i18n'izing my app

tis 2004-09-21 klockan 23.16 skrev B.Hakvoort:
> i've been trying to add i18n to gparted for a couple of days and now i'm
> stuck at the "integrating into your build environment" part.

Not related to answers to your questions, but you might want to request
a http://bugzilla.gnome.org/ component for gparted. That will help other
GNOME contributors to both report and triage bugs in your software. See
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/bugsquad/maintainers.html for how to
request a Bugzilla component.

I found this bug:

        #. TO TRANSLATORS: dialogtitle, looks like Information about /dev/hda3
        #: src/Dialog_Partition_Info.cc:30
        msgid "Information about"

Thanks for providing a comment, but this sentence surgery (rest of
sentence appending) isn't likely to work for RTL (right-to-left)
languages anyway, or any other language that would want to reverse the
sentence somehow.
A RTL language translator would typically want to produce something like
the equivalent of this:

        msgstr "/dev/hda3 tuoba noitamrofnI"

In order to be able to do this, you need to provide the full sentence to
the translators:

        msgid "Information about %s"

This way, the translator can rearrange the position of the %s if needed.

The same problem applies to this message:

        #. TO TRANSLATORS: used as: mounted on <mountpoint>
        #: src/Dialog_Partition_Info.cc:240 src/Dialog_Partition_Info.cc:251
        msgid "Mounted on"

Perhaps it also applies to more messages.