Re: translators tried hard but...

Hi all,

A head note: I agree we're very far from a perfect situation.  But I
don't agree with your proposed solutions.

gnome-i18n is not the right place to request tarball releases.  Go to
the maintainers and developers, they should be able to help.  Anyone
can ask a maintainer to do a release, and if you notice that some
releases are missing, it's best if *you* do it (since we're all
volunteering and dedicating our free time to the project).  If you
can't do it for some reason, then it's appropriate to let gnome-i18n
and ask someone to do it for you.

Today at 9:36, Mugurel Tudor wrote:

> *All* the tarballs should be created on the release day.

That's impossible: tarballs need to be tested, maintainers might be
unavailable, etc.

> Otherwise, please be more specific about the period that we should
> commit our translations.

We can't be specific about it because we don't know.  But we're
pretty close.  Any translations getting in prior to RC1 (2 weeks
prior to the final release) SHOULD be included, but it usually
extends to 1 week prior to release.  Most commonly though, it's 3-4
days prior to release.

> Because we are not translating for statistics, we are
> translating for the people. Thank you.

Exactly.  But we're also working with *people* who do the releases.
We need to remind them politely (and then remind them again) that we
need releases, even though there might be no changes apart from
translation updates.  If that doesn't work (busy maintainer, doesn't
like the idea, etc.), we need to let other developers know, and
perhaps someone will be able to lend a hand.

Alternative approach is to ask release-team to have available
"helpers" who could do releases when nobody else is around.  But,
this should not be discussed here, since it affects the entire Gnome
project.

The best solution would be to have separate language packs, but we're
far from that one at this time.

Cheers,
Danilo