Re: How add the Aztec Language to the Proyect

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 10:32:37AM +0200, Christian Rose wrote:
> tis 2004-09-21 klockan 01.24 skrev Daniel Espinosa Ortiz:
> > We are a group of peaple working in translate Free Software to a Mexican
> > Language like Aztec (nah is the ISO code), and want to test some
> > translations, but I thing we need a locale for that.
> >
> > The locale, need to use the settings for es_MX, becouse this language is
> > just in Mexico as a native speakers, and we want to have a enviromente
> > where if any string is not translated the message must be showed in
> > Mexican Spanish (es_MX) or in Spanish (es).
> >
> > Could you help us?
>
> As you point out, Aztec doesn't have its own language code, just the
> shared "nah" one, according to
> http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html.
>
> Unfortunately, this is the same language code that you have claimed you
> will be using for Nahuatl translations, for which you have already
> registered a team with the GNOME Translation Project.
>
> As gettext and glibc rely on the (unique) language codes for handling
> translations, I see a problem here. You'd probably want to solve the
> language code problem somehow in advance to dealing with translations.

Well, I think the way forward for you is to get a new language code for
the language you will translate for. The ISO committee that assigns new
codes are pretty responsive, so this wil probably take you something
like a few months to get an officially approved ISO code.

In the meantime you could begin translation, (without committing the po
files) but there is nothing that needs to stop you going forward with
translation now.

best regards
and good luck

keld