Re: New team for Iranian Azerbaijani (az_IR)

Kaixo!

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 04:40:51PM +0000, Abbas Izad wrote:

> My point about my comments was to open up for a new solution to the problem!

Technically, your idea works; but it would violate the way the locales
are named.

> >So, as when there is *no translation available* the user will be
> >shown text in latin script no matter what; then maybe it would
> >make more sense to show a rendition in latin script of their language
> >rather than English.
>
> Again, we are not discussing about Azeris in the republic of Azerbaijan who
> are comfortable with latin!

I know. Read again what I wrote, I say that, if no az_IR translation
is available, then they will see text in latin script anyway; the
question is, would they prefer text in Azeri latin (eg, we keep "az.po"
as now, along future "az_IR.po" files); or would they prefer text
in English in latin script (which would be the case if "az.po" are
moved to "az_AZ.po"?)

If they are able to read English, they would also be able to read Azeri
in latin script; if they can't read English, they can maybe read
Azeri in latin script anywayt;
but if they can't read Azeri (that is, their own language) in latin
script, then they won't be able to descifer English text either.

(and again, that should be decided by the Azeri speaking community;
not by me or you, btw).

Also; there is an easy way to avoid to ever see any latin Azeri
translation at all: the arabic script Azeri team just has to translate
faster and harder than the latin Azeri one :) (as there are much more
potentially involved people it should be possible)

> >> fa_KU and fa_TU
> >It is the other way: <language code>_<COUNTRY CODE>.
> >"KU" and "TU" country codes don't exist.
>
> Sorry, I didn't know what locale Kurdish and Turkman have!

Currently ku_TR (Kurdish, Turkey) and tk_TM (Turkmen, Turkmenistan) are
defined; OpenOffice.org raised the question of Kurdish, and the
consensus was that ku_TR and ku_IQ were enough to distinguish latin
and arabic script.
Note that "ku.po" and "tk.po" are used for latin script too (but in
those two cases I think the people using latin script are more than
those using arabic one)

[Nobody raised the point of cyrillic script... however Azeri, Kurdish
and Turkmen can all be written with it... and even Persian, if you
consider that Tajik and Persian are linguistically close... well,
I suppose it is complicated enough as it is now :) ]

> However I see a problem with Kurdish which has special (Arabic)
> characters and requires special font.

That's not a problem at all; you just need to have a proper font
installed, and pango does a good job (*)

Any character present in unicode can safely be used on a modern
computer environement (like Gnome2 is); and Kurdish in arabic script
can perfectly be written in Gnome; I even found an arabic script
Kurdish keyboard layout;

(*) well, not exactly true... there is a bug; while pango can search and
find missing glyphs from other fonts (a very nice feature, i love it!)
it breaks the arabic shaping when doing so, imho it shouldn't, the
initial/medial/final or isolated characteristic of a character shouldn't
depend on the font.
Yudit does it correctly, for example.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]