Re: New team for Iranian Azerbaijani (az_IR)

Kaixo!

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 12:05:44PM -0700, Gurban M. Tewekgeli wrote:

> latin writing system (like all of Iranian Turkmens). Persian/Arabic
> script is completely unable to cover all of Turk languages need.
> Azeri and Turkmen are a vowel based languages and vowels is
> the first missed things in Persian scripting.

No, that is not a fatality of the script.
Yes, if you use it following the rules of Arabic orthography, it is
not very adapted, for the lack of vowels; but it is perfectly possible
to use a symbol for each vowel and always note it; it will then be
exactly as precise as latin writting.
Look at how Uyghur is written for example; each and any of their vowels
(the eigth of them) is written.
It's a new orthography introduced in 1983 apparently.

Think also that latin script itselfs has its origin to phenician
abjad, which, as all semitic writting systems (at least at those times)
didn't noted vowels; trough time however some symbols were reused to
note vowels; and even several new ones had been added (like "u", "w", "j").

Note also that plain latin alphabet is unable to be used for Turk
languages either, as it lacks all the ÃÉÄÄÃÃÃÄÃÅÅÅ etc letters they choose
to adopt in their latin orthographies.

--
Ki Ãa vos vÃye bÃn,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://chanae.walon.org/pablo/		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]