Re: Translation tools for documentation

Hi Tim,

Today at 9:33, Tim Foster wrote:

> Nope, actually we haven't done that yet ! That's a pretty hard thing to
> achieve, and get right all the time - it'd be an interesting problem to
> work on though. Basically, you're talking about sub-flows :
>
> "Here is < some list > an interesting list"

Thanks for all the pointers here (about XLIFF "sub-flows" etc).

>> Still, since I
>> cannot imagine how are you supporting sentence-reordering with
>> sentence-based translations, I suppose you've discovered that it's
>> very rarely needed
>
> Yep - translators don't seem to mind that it's not there.

Ok, that's interesting to know.

>> I'd like to see that solved for gettext as well: "xml-format" tag for
>> GNU gettext (like c-format), which would indicate that string needs to
>> be correct XML.
>
> Does it do printf-style format checking at the moment ? I've got a
> parser that recognises these which I need to build into the editor at
> some stage so we can nicely highlight things like "%%+05d".

Yes, it does handle printf-style format checking.  I believe that's
the main point of "c-format" keyword :)  I don't know how complete
are the checks it does, but I have yet to come across a case where it
doesn't work well.

Cheers,
Danilo