Re: Other textual domains need to be translated

Hi Metin,

"Metin Amiroff" <gnome@azitt.com> writes:

> From my bad experience in Gnome 2.4 I have to watch Screensaver
> configuration dialoq in plain english despite having translated
> 100% of essenitals.

Join the crowds of xscreensaver haters all around the world ;)
And what's else, I don't think it's translatable.

xscreensaver usage seems to be the source of endless debate around
Gnome community, and many have asked for it to be replaced, but to
keep ability to use xscreensaver "hacks" (various styles of
CPU-intensive "Saving of the Screen" -- ants walking around Moebius
strip, or something ;). Still, nobody has stepped forward with the
solution, and that's the main problem I think.  Do you perhaps
volunteer? :P

> I think we should have a list of other important
> textual domains which are dependent to GNOME and which are user visible
> somewhere on Gnome-i18n site. For example I have 4 domains in my
> mind. They are:
>
> - Screensaver config dialoq (though I don't know where to get the pot file)

AFAIK, and as explained above, this is a show-stopper. :(

> - shared-mime-info on Translation project (!!!! imprtant)
> - iso_3166 (same place)
> - gstreamer and gstreamer-plugins (same place)
- scrollkeeper
- xfree86_xml (for translations of keyboard map names in Keyboard layout chooser)

> I hope I won't see anything in English this time, at least
> on default GNOME :p

Then add Mozilla to the list as well -- you'll occasionally still come
across English dialogs originating in Mozilla if you use Epiphany.

Or try some language (if you don't want to see anything English ;)
which has all this stuff translated (I guess Swedish is the one;
Serbian doesn't have Mozilla translated ;).

Cheers,
Danilo