Re: GNOME 2.6: What's new in i18n?

Murray Cumming wrote:

>For the GNOME 2.6 press release and release notes, we would like to tell
>everyone about really significant internationalization/translation
>improvements. So, what's new?
>
>For instance, I hear that Arabic will be full supported by GNOME 2.6.
>Are any other languages new (fully supported) in 2.6? Are there any
>other very significant changes?

Also Murray:

The accessibility i18n work has made a lot of progress since 2.4, thanks
to the translation teams and engineering teams.

Gnopernicus is still hampered by a lack of free non-English voices, but
its internal strings are in excellent shape:

* near-complete (>88%) for 26 languages:

  ar, az, ca, cs, cy, de, en_CA, es, fr, hr, it, ko, lt, mn, ms, nl, no,
pl, pt, pt_BR, sq, sr, sr@Latn, sv, uk, zh_CN

the majority of which are >98% complete.

GOK is now fully internationalized thanks to a major engineering push,
and has translations for and is believed to work with 30+ languages.

 From GOK NEWS (as of last week):

* translations 100% complete:
  az, cs, da, de, en_CA, es, ja, ko, nl, no, pl, pt, sq, sr,
  sr@Latn, sv.

* translations 90 - 99% complete:
  el, hr, lt, mn.

* translations 80 - 90% complete:
  ar, be, ca, cy, fr, ms, pt_BR, sl, vi, zh_CN.

This is probably _big_ news in the a11y world, where the majority of
products are english-only.

- Bill