Re: Different string totals in status

Today at 22:19, Raphael Higino wrote:

> De: "Danilo Åegan" <danilo gnome org>
>> When you notice such a thing, I suggest you report it to Bugzilla
>> for the relevant component, and CC some/all of the i18n hackers
>> around who might be able to help fix the issue (such as
>> menthos menthos com, , chris gnome-de org,
>> dsegan gmx net ...).
>
> I notice this every day and I would have to write a Bugzilla report for
> every status update, or almost.

Well, this happens because some modules don't even use intltool
properly, and thus can't be avoided.

Also, you'd need not "write a Bugzilla report for every status
update", you'd more likely need to write a Bugzilla report for
several applications for which you notice such a behaviour (and most
of them already have bug reports in place).  Usually, this is not a
status pages fault (sometimes it is, but generally not), so report
bugs against applications instead.

> I'd have to compare the amount of all languages strings. Then, if I wanted
> to know in what packages are the miscounted strings I'd have to get into
> each language status and compare it to the others. It sound like a script's
> work. Maybe it should be done along the status update, and that's why I'm
> CC-ing Carlos (if I'm not wrong, he takes care of the status page update).

Well, if you're willing to go around fixing such stuff, perhaps
Carlos can provide you with detailed error log of every run of status
pages (he already sends that to Abel I believe, so it shouldn't be a
problem).

OTOH, if you're not willing to do this, I suggest you either report
single instances you *do* notice (like the Evolution case) to Bugzilla,
and let others handle whatever they come across.  That's how we have
worked so far, and it turned out to be acceptable.

> So, here is my question: who is supposed to take care of this?

Anyone who has the time to do it.  If POT filename or branch has
changed, then mailing gnome-i18n should be enough (and someone will
pick that up and update translation-status.xml).  Most other cases
are bugs in applications.

Cheers,
Danilo