Re: A new component/module for the nice translators worldwide to pick up

> Hi there,

Hi here, :P

> We (Gaute Hope and me, Philip Van Hoof) have just imported
> a new module in cvs.gnome.org: "gnome-schedule". It's a
> application to ease the configuration of the system
> crontab. Some parts may be a real challenge to get
> translated, like the "humanly readable version" of the
> frequency setting.

Don't worry. This string is easy to translate (at least in
Brazilian Portuguese).

> People who have joined the translation teams are free to
> not only modify and add translation related sources and
> files, they are also free to correct the python code in
> order to get the translations done (if thats necessary of
> course).

So, let me suggest some modifications for i18n purposes.

I picked up gnome-schedule for translating and I found two
string kindda difficult to translate. They are:

#: src/addWindow.py:243
msgid "This is an invalid record! The problem could be at
the "
msgstr ""

#: src/addWindow.py:243
msgid " field. Reason: "
msgstr ""

Let me explain. They're not difficult due the words you have
used, but 'cause they're at the same line and (I think) the
second completes the first one on this way: "This is an
invalid record! The problem could be at the *FIELD-NAME*
field. Reason: "

In Portuguese (all the variants) the name of the field
*must* go after the noun, this way: "Esse é um registro
inválido! O problema pode estar no campo *FIELD-NAME*.
Razão: ". Here "campo" is the translation for "field".

It's impossible to correctly translate that string to
Portuguese, and I bet other languages, if you don't put "%s"
(or the correspondent in Python) on your string, this way...

#: src/addWindow.py:243
#, py-format
msgid "This is an invalid record! The problem could be at
the %s field. Reason: "
msgstr ""

...the (Brazilian) Portuguese translation for your program
will be made wrong. The users will curse me, and this will
be bad. :(

This last example is translatable to Portuguese and all the
languages. The first is not for a lot of languages over the
world.

> To everybody who ever translated an application and
> especially to the people who are going to translate
> gnome-schedule: Thanks in advance for your translations.
> It's appreciated.

Thanks to you for writing such an important program for the
GNOME desktop.

Raphael Higino
raphaelh uai com br
O grande portal dos mineiros