Re: Recommended string to use for «Do foo every <widget> timeunits» and similar

Ar 14/01/2004 am 10:04, ysgrifennodd Danilo Segan:
> Åsmund Skjæveland <aasmunds@ulrik.uio.no> writes:
>

> > The second example is translatable, but still a bug, since it splits a
> > sentence.
> >
> > Is there a recommended English sentence to ask for instead when filing
> > bugs?
> >

> Just ask for separate strings, i.e.
>  Check for mail every <...> seconds
>  Check for mail every <...> minutes
>  Check for mail every <...> hours
>
> But, since you're probably talking about UI issues, it would mean
> introducing a context marker (because it cannot be "blah blah %s
> blah").  Generally, composing sentences with UI elements is as bad as
> composing them from a couple of strings, but it's hard to convince
> developers about that, and we don't have a better solution to the
> problem which we could propose to them.

I'd suggest something like this:

How often to check for mail, in seconds: <spinbox>
How often to check for mail, in minutes: <spinbox>
How often to check for mail, in hours: <spinbox>

I think this is more readable and fixes translation issues. If you file
a bug (and I think you should), please CC me.

--
Dafydd