Re: [Fwd: Re: Translations, GNOME and KDE]

Hi there,

> The Heartsome XLIFF Translation Editor is a commercial tool, not open
> source, so I don't know how it would fit in gnome foundation plans.

I see. Though it might be possible to use it for open source
translations. I think (personally) that it is less important whether it
is open source or not - we are not going to distribute this application
along with GNOME. It it is very good on the other hand it might help us
a lot.

> My company used to target Windows users, as most professional
> translation tools are only available on that platform. However, as I did
> most of the development on Linux, the editor is a true cross-platform
> tool (it also runs on Mac OS X and Solaris).
>
> I'm copying this reply to the gnome list because I think this tool is
> really interesting and only two people contacted me so far.
>
> What I'm trying to do is release a version with some limitations, but
> still fully usable, to support the open source community.

That could be nice. It doesn't need to support all kind of formats, PO,
docbook, etc would do, and might be a limitation enought for
professional translators to stay away from this version.