Re: New strings in GDM

> To: Åsmund Skjæveland
> Cc: GNOME i18n list
> Subject: Re: New strings in GDM
> From: Danilo Segan
> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:16:40 +0100
>

> Hi Åsmund,
>
> Åsmund Skjæveland writes:
> >>
> >> Translators, please update your translations.
> >
> > What is "jekavian"?
>
> It's a dialect of Serbian used in Montenegro and among Serbs in
> Bosnia (though, this is somewhat fuzzy, because language of all the
> people there is mostly the same, except for some common words). It's
> similar to Croatian in pronounciation of ancient letter "yat", but
> vocabulary is more in line with "regular" Serbian.

but, I think, it's the case to have a so detailed localization?
It wouldn't be sufficient to have the more used language (for each nation)
only?

It will the same as have a localization for each italian (see my email address)
dialect (and most of them are really different from eachother)

> The difference is somewhat along the lines of difference
> between en_GB and en_US, but with more particular changes (i.e. it
> cannot be amounted to a couple of dozen words, but more like thousands
> of them).
>
> What you're mostly interested in is how to pronounce it (so you can
> transcribe it in your language). It's pronounced like
> "ee-ye-kawskee" (cyrillic "?????????") in Serbian (it's not
> "jay-kawian"); I don't know about any other language, including
> English. Perhaps you should search Google in your own language to
> find out if there's any accepted spelling for that.

These are really hard things to manage...

> I considered putting a translators' comment there, but I was not
> really sure what should I write. Any suggestions?

I think that what you have wrote in your email is fine (even for po comment)

> Cheers,
> Danilo

Francesco

Tiscali ADSL SENZA CANONE:
Attivazione GRATIS, contributo adesione GRATIS, modem GRATIS,
50 ore di navigazione GRATIS.  ABBONARTI TI COSTA SOLO UN CLICK!
http://point.tiscali.it/adsl/index.shtml