Re: New strings in GDM

Hi Åsmund,

Åsmund Skjæveland <aasmunds@fys.uio.no> writes:

>> Translators, please update your translations.
>
> What is "jekavian"?

It's a dialect of Serbian used in Montenegro and among Serbs in
Bosnia (though, this is somewhat fuzzy, because language of all the
people there is mostly the same, except for some common words).  It's
similar to Croatian in pronounciation of ancient letter "yat", but
vocabulary is more in line with "regular" Serbian.

The difference is somewhat along the lines of difference
between en_GB and en_US, but with more particular changes (i.e. it
cannot be amounted to a couple of dozen words, but more like thousands
of them).

What you're mostly interested in is how to pronounce it (so you can
transcribe it in your language).  It's pronounced like
"ee-ye-kawskee" (cyrillic "ијекавски") in Serbian (it's not
"jay-kawian"); I don't know about any other language, including
English.  Perhaps you should search Google in your own language to
find out if there's any accepted spelling for that.

I considered putting a translators' comment there, but I was not
really sure what should I write.  Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Danilo