Re: en_CA Proposal

>> (02.16.2004 @ 1332 PST): Alexander Winston said, in 1.5K: <<
> On Mon, 2004-02-16 at 03:53 -0500, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>
> > Canadian English does not fit neatly within any of the other i18ns. It
> > is halfway between the Queen's English and American English. Case in
> > point: in Canada, one uses a dialog box to customize fibre colours.
> >
> > If there is interest in this, I am willing to manage the process. I have
> > contacted no other potential translators, but I have no concerns about
> > finding participants.
> >
> > My hesitation is that I am not emphatic about the concept of Yet Another
> > Localized English (Mis)spelling project. However, until it's possible to
> > say, "Use en_CA, and fall back on en_GB, and then fall back on C," it
> > makes sense to me to allow support for Canadian English.
> >
> > I am interested in hearing the GNOME i18n's thoughts on the relevance
> > and merits of this concept.
>
> Sure, I don't see why we should or would not accept as many translations
> as possible. The goal here is to bring software to the people, right? :)
> Are there any technical issues that I'm forgetting?
>> end of "Re: en_CA Proposal" from Alexander Winston <<

Thanks for the quick response! Well, what are the appropriate next
steps? On the one hand, there being a UI/strings freeze makes it easier
to begin the process. But on the other hand, I'm sure it's a PITA to
introduce something like this in the middle of a cycle.

Should I put this on hold for a while? Should I begin making some en_CA
po files, and put them up somewhere? I can begin potentially recruiting
some others as soon as it's indicated to me that I should.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adam@vectors.cx // adamw@FreeBSD.org // adamw@magnesium.net