Re: GNOME Lovers Needed: l10n work for locations database

ons 2004-12-15 klockan 15:34 +0330 skrev Roozbeh Pournader:
> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 03:07, Jan Morén wrote:
> > Of course, the issue of "inter-country common words" or not will affect
> > perhaps two or three teams out of some fifty or more.
>
> Ah, let me see how many I can count. This will be languages with
> official status or important minority usage written in the same script
> in different countries. It's possibly far from complete:
>
> * Albanian (Albania, Macedonia, Kosovo)
[...]
> * Serbian (Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia and Montenegro)
> * Sami (Finland, Norway); doesn't have a GNOME team yet

Sami has official minority language status also in Sweden, and Sami is
also spoken by a minority in the region of Russia close to Norway and
north of Finland.

A difficult thing with Sami is that it is has many regional variants,
and some of them are AFAIK different enough to even be classified as
different languages.

> * Swazi (Swaziland, South Africa); doesn't have a GNOME team yet
> * Kurdish (Iraq, Iran); current GNOME team does Latin Kurdish, different

Hey, you forgot Swedish (Sweden, Finland)! ;-)

Swedish is an official language in Finland, in addition to Finnish.
Although Swedish is spoken by only a minority, it has a status protected
even in the constitution. Naturally, as influence from the Finnish
language has been high, it has some (but small) differences to Swedish
in Sweden. Fortunately, it seems computer terminology is close to
identical.