Re: GNOME Lovers Needed: l10n work for locations database

ons 2004-12-15 klockan 15:34 +0330 skrev Roozbeh Pournader:
> On Wed, 2004-12-15 at 03:07, Jan Morén wrote:
> > Of course, the issue of "inter-country common words" or not will affect
> > perhaps two or three teams out of some fifty or more.
>
> Ah, let me see how many I can count. This will be languages with
> official status or important minority usage written in the same script
> in different countries. It's possibly far from complete:

[very interesting list snipped]

What I meant was that taking pains to using common words for the
original English strings will help the three English teams a bit, but
with possible negative effect on the readability of the English version,
and possible negative effect on the other translation teams. The
"common" term will tend to be less clear, more ambiguous, or less common
than the term the developers would otherwise have preferred.

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.

Tel. (Japan) 090-3622 8920            Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
                                      Dept. of Cognitive Science
http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren    Lund, Sweden