Re: How to do the language code switch for Norwegian Bokmål: no -> nb

On 2004-08-06(Fri) 21:13:05 +0200, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> But by switching all po files at once, and making gdm define
> LANGUAGE=3Dnb:no it will create the less trouble for the majority
> of people.
> Switching the whole of Gnome will give also incentive to other projects,
> not using gettext, to switch from "no" to "nb" too.

Pablo is true in the above sentences. You have to make others feel that
switching is the good thing to do, so that others are willing to follow.

> > really good enough for a normal distro.
>=20
> Well, Mandrakelinux actually does like that for some time already
> (as the nb/no duality in translations is not new at all);
> some programs needed special care; but in most cases it is transparent.
>=20
> BTW, how was done the switch for Chinese? (zh_CN.GB2312 -> zh_CN
> and zh_TW.Big5 -> zh_TW), and for Nynorsk? (no nynorsk -> nn)

A bit of CVS work and announcements -- do the real work, then actively
tell distros such change has been done. For chinese locales, they are long
standing problems, so no one object to the changes. After zh_TW changes,
zh_CN also follow quickly. Don't know about nn, someone may want to
tell your experience here?