Re: How to do the language code switch for Norwegian Bokmål: no -> nb

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 05:20:38PM +0200, Åsmund Skjæveland wrote:
> Some within the Norwegian translation teams are now arguing that it's
> time for GNOME to use 'nb' as the language code for Norwegian Bokmål

> 	What is the best way to do this, technically? Some argue that the

There is no technical problem at all;
all that is needed, is for users to have LANGUAGE="nb:no"
so that both "nb" and "no" translations will work (as there will be
a transition period when both will coexist; KDE could made them
all switch because it is a very centralized release process, but a
typical Gnome system is not, it is Gnome core plus a lot of more or less
independent programs that use gnome libs)

So, maybe the best thing to do will be to make gdm define such
LANGUAGE value when either nb_NO or no_NO locale is selected.

> How much work, roughly, would be involved to make it work?

something like that:

for i in `find * -name no.po`
mv $i `dirname $i`/nb.po
cvs delete $i
cvs add `dirname $i`/nb.po

for i in `find *`
rm -f tmfile
cat $i | \
	sed 's/\(ALL_LINGUAS=.*\)\<no\>\(.*\)/\1nb\2/' > tmpfile && \
	cat tmpfile > $i

cvs commit

Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga		PGP Key available, key ID: 0xD9B85466
[you can write me in Walloon, Spanish, French, English, Catalan or Esperanto]
[min povas skribi en valona, esperanta, angla aux latinidaj lingvoj]