Re: New Team for Olde Englisc (ang)?

fre 2004-08-06 klockan 13.31 skrev David Lodge:
> I've been playing around with the concept of doing a full translation of gnome
> into Olde Englisc, (the pre-1000 CE version of English, which is significantly
> different to Modern English).
>
> Having banded it around in the Englisc mailing lists I have willing volunteers;
> but this does bring up the of whether the GTP is willing to support a 'dead
> language' (though it is still used in some areas of literature).
>
> If we can form the team, there is also the question of what to call it. The
> official ISO 639 code is "ang English (Old)"; but this wouldn't fit into the
> normal schema of codes; maybe: "en_OE English (Old)"?
>
> I would be willing to act as team leader for this team...
>
> Thoughts?
>
> dave

We already have an Old English team registered in the GTP. The team
leader (according to http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/teams.html)
is James R. Johnson <modean52 comcast net>.

Granted, I havent yet seen any translation progress from this team, but
you still need to get in contact with the existing coordinator first.
Perhaps you can join your efforts, or agree to start a new team. If this
existing coordinator isn't contactable, please let us know.

Regarding the language code, we use the three-letter ISO 639-2 language
code if no two-letter ISO 639-1 language code is available. So in this
case the language code we would use would be the ISO 639-2 one: "ang".

I think we would definately not want to abuse the standard
"languagecode_COUNTRYCODE" locale naming by using a fictive OE country
code.