Re: Yoruba Locale Source file creation and installation

 --- Abayomi Onibudo <bonibz hotmail com> wrote:
> i am trying to test the .pot file translations on
> current available versions of Gnome, such as 2.4
> on my PC.  I have copies of a number of
> distributions redhat, mandrake, debian and suse.
> However, i can't I can't seem to get any
> straight foward steps on how to install and
> configure a new locale. Are there any tools or
> apps that can help with this, particularly how to
> create Locale source files.

Hi,
  We are part of an ongoing effort to localize GNOME
and other Linux software to various Indian languages,
and I sympathize with your plight. Do not know about
information on creating locale files, but I think
that you might profitably read through the HOWTOs
on the project wiki at
http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/HowTo
in particular the language HOWTO. Though I have not
done it myself, I think that it should not be too
difficult to modify an existing locale from one in
/usr/share/i18n/locales/

  Instructions for installing libc and X locales can
be found in various places. As a shameless plug for
my own work, you might read
<http://oriya.sarovar.org/docs/getting_started/index.html>
or download from under
<http://oriya.sarovar.org/developer_download.html>
Not all of it might be applicable to Yoruba, but
it should help you get started, and I would be glad
to answer any questions over personal email.

  You are also undoubtedly aware that there are
several other things required to support a language:
(a) a font, (b) input methods, (c) an editor (check
out yudit at http://www.yudit.org, etc.

Regards,
Gora