Re: Problem with gtk+-1 Applications in gnome 2-6

I know that such a problem isn't your primary issue of development, though it is a quality issue concerning I18N development, when a new installation/distribution can overwrite a I18N setting without a reflection in the session setup and desktop configuration.

I demand a setup of a standard character option settable at login or session level or in the gdm or desktop configuration.  This option could easily affect the LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_ALL or similar variables at shell level, otherwise set by the .xsession configuration, heavily affected by distributions.

What I finally did, and what solved my problems is to choose custom .xsession setup.  I just didn't realized that gdm meant $HOME/.xsession with "Custom Session", when selecting the Session at login level.

Choosing "Gnome" resulted in the broken setting.

Luckily "Gentoo" is  a distribution that keeps hands of such configurations !

Sorry that I don't know enough about GTK+/Gnome to support you in this task.  Maybe I will be able to do this in the future. Currently I'm heavily involved in developing Motif applications and it would hurt my brain to think in gtk+ ;) Though I'm planning to start programming gtk+ in the recent future...

Possibly you might give me some hints or points to papers a/o books to begin with (I know the FAQ and the API Reference though).

BYE INGO