Re: Problem with gtk+-1 Applications in gnome 2-6

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 00:04:49 +0200, "Christian Rose" <menthos@gnome.org>
said:
> fre 2004-04-23 klockan 06.49 skrev Ingo Krabbe:
> > Since I recently installed a gnome 2.6 via gentoo 'emerge -u' I
> > encounter problems using gtk+-1 Applications like sylpheed and
> > GnomeCard, which use iso-8859-15 or iso-8859-1 encoding and seem to be
> > unable to use UTF-8 or know don't recognize UTF-8 !
> >
> > I tried to set gnome to use iso-8859-15 instead but it seems that the
> > system encoding is set to utf-8.  I cannot find the environment setting
> > or the configuration file to change this.
>
> Where the setting for the system character set is found is usually a
> very distro-specific topic. Sorry I can't help you here, since I know
> nothing about Gentoo.

Hi,

I don't know any Gentoo specific setting (I'm using Gentoo as well), but
have this in /etc/profile:
export LANG=nl_NL.UTF-8
export LANGUAGE=nl_NL.UTF-8

If a locale doesn't exist yet in a specific character set, you can make
it
with (in my case):
localedef -i nl_NL -c -f UTF-8 nl_NL.UTF-8

(I have the opposite situation: the nl_NL locale uses ISO-8859-1 by
default,
while I want to use UTF-8.)

Kind regards,
Elros