Re: Problem with gtk+-1 Applications in gnome 2-6

Finally I found out where the UTF8 Setting came from.  Actually this Variable was set by GDM through locale.alias in /etc/X11/gdm, which is consulted when the users (me) selects a Language in the GDM->Language dialog.

Wouldn't this be a I18N related development question ?  If not it is possibly a gdm development question !  Anyway the characterset selected through language should at least be visible or better selectable in the way

<Select a language>  /* from a list */

(system determines available charsets
 for given language)

<Select a charset> /* from the created list */

(build the complete locale setting)

I would be able to write a (preferably) plain C functions that build this lists. I would do so by only depending on '/usr/bin/locale -a'
extracting the components of Systems available locales, identifying real Languages through a locale.map file.  We might use the provided locale.alias shipped with gdm.

The result of such functions would be (preferably) char* arrays of selectable values.

Please get in personal contact if you want to do me so:

	Ingo Krabbe <i.krabbe@dokom.net>

BYE INGO