Re: create compendium automatically

недељa, 28. септембар 2003. 22:12:21 CEST — Keld Jørn Simonsen написа:
> I think the compendia are a good idea, but it seems like we need to
> do some
> optimization on the code, eg by employing database techniques.

Yes, of course it's probably possible to do it, but it would involve
rewriting of a lot of standard gettext tools to be more suitable for
the task (or writing the same tools from scratch, with different
objectives).

Quite similar approach could be taken in regard to status pages
optimizations, like caching the results of one msgmerge (which original
messages were fuzzied based on which previous translations), and
reusing this information in all other translations, and doing
incremental updates instead of rerunning msgmerge for each translation.

(For instance, we do a msgmerge on sv.po for gnumeric, and cache which
english messages are no longer present, and if there are some new
english messages, from what was a fuzzy match gotten [which english
string]; then, we just do the same job for sr.po, without searching all
the stuff, and all the messages that were not present in sv.po but are
in sr.po are checked in the same way and added to database if they were
fuzzied.)

Yet, there are big flaws to any of these approaches: dedication of time
and resources to accomplish them is quite big, at least at the start.
At the moment, I think it would be far better to dedicate any developer
time we've got left to creating tools for DocBook-to-PO transformation
tools. Of course, my priorities might be skewed, so I hope someone will
give another point of view soon, with all the reasoning behind it.

Cheers,
Danilo