Re: create compendium automatically

недељa, 28. септембар 2003. 18:12:22 CEST — pclouds написа:
> Is it possible to create/maintain a compendium for each language?
> GTP keeps a compendium for each language. Then every time translators
> commit their translations to CVS, their translations will be
> automatically added to the compendium of their language.
> I would like to create a compendium to keep all translations we have
> made. Because, when applications evolve, some translations will be
> marked obsolete, and they may be removed by accident. Compendiums can
> also help msgmerge to get better results.

While that's certainly a good idea, it's not really realistic.

With the "compendium" consisted of all the translations performed thus
far for Serbian language, I've discovered that doing a msgmerge on
*untranslated* file of some 500 strings took around two hours on my
home Celeron 700MHz (and the CPU was at 100% at all times, so it's not
a memory or disk issue).

So I think the best thing is to keep local compendiums, and to decide
what to include in it.

(Especially so if cvs.gnome.org would have to do any more processing
with this change; I'd rather have a working CVS than non-working
features-aplenty CVS access -- and yes, I'm constantly reminding myself
of the recent episode :)

Cheers,
Danilo