Re: Suggestion

петак, 05. септембар 2003. 14:08:16 CEST — Christian Rose написа:
> mån 2003-09-01 klockan 17.13 skrev Telsa Gwynne:
> > If we are listing the translations in the release notes, it might
> > be nice to include a mention of how many people speak (or read?)
> > each language?
>
> There's a listing of languages, where they're spoken and the number
> of speakers at
> http://www.imprimatur.co.uk/library/language_directory/a_z/.

Okay, I extracted all the numbers for the "supported" languages, and
here it goes:

az:Azerbaijani:
be:Belarusian:7 million
ca:Catalan:6 million
cs:Czech:11 million
cy:Welsh:575,000 (according to Telsa)
da:Danish:Over 5 million
de:German:100 million
el:Greek (Modern):10 million
es:Spanish:Over 350 million
fi:Finnish:Over 5 million
fr:French:75 million
it:Italian:60 million
ja:Japanese:Over 125 million
ko:Korean:75 million
ms:Malay:Over 17 million
nl:Dutch:Over 21 million
pl:Polish:44 million
pt:Portuguese:182 million
pt_BR:Portuguese:182 million
sl:Slovenian:
sr:Serbian:8 million
sv:Swedish:9 million
zh_CN:Chinese Simplified:Over 1.1 billion
zh_TW:Chinese Traditional:Over 1.1 billion

Anyone is welcome to post corrections for anything you're familiar
with.

Also, Slovenian and Azerbaijani are missing from the list, as well as
American English. If anyone is aware of the figures for those (I guess
Slovenian has something like 2-3 millions speakers, but I may easily be
wrong).

If noone objects, I may add this to the list of supported languages in
release notes in the form of:
  American English (1 speaker, noone understands it)
  Azerbaijani
  Belarusian (7 million)

It's be nice if someone could separate numbers for Portuguese and
Brazilian Portuguese, as well as for Chinese Traditional and Chinese
Simplified.

Cheers,
Danilo