Re: translation of the word factory...

ons 2003-09-03 klockan 10.18 skrev Fco. Javier F. Serrador:
> Traditionally, almost in Spain, "Factory" has been translated as
> "Fabrica".

It's the same in Swedish; we use "fabrik".

The translated analogy to real-world factories seems to be in widespread
use also in Swedish computer science literature. It's commonly used as
the name of special type functions that can create instances of
functions, or so I understand it, so the term is clearly used in the
"production house" sense.

As the translation is not a problem, at least for Swedish, and the
number of occurances is rather low, I've never bothered to bug report
it. I can also understand Malcolm's viewpoint that the translations for
this could be useful once there's a graphical viewer for these things,
even though they may seem unnecessary now.

However, it could probably be useful to have this term, together with a
description, added to the GNOME translator glossary in
gnome-i18n/glossary/. Michael?