Re: translation of the word factory...

среда, 03. септембар 2003. 11:47:32 CEST — Malcolm Tredinnick написа:

> > > And the strings finally get a meaning!!!
> > > What do you think of it? It's a widespread mistake I think, but
> > > if I am wrong correct me...
>
> I think you are wrong (see below). :-)

Heyoo, I didn't say that one :-P

> > It seems to me to be a CORBA terminology (I'll have to check) --
> > which means that it's a word with *new meaning assigned*, so I
> > believe it's up to translators to choose any word suitable for
> > their language.
>
> It's not really new to CORBA. Factory functions (or classes) and
> factory patterns have been around for a while.

I never said that it was "new to CORBA", but rather, that it's a term
that has gotten new meaning when it got used in CORBA (before that, it
never had the meaning of "producers of application instances",
right? ;-).

> At the risk of pouring oil onto the fire, let me add a technical
> viewpoint: the "factory" objects in CORBA and bonobo and friends are
> producers of application instances. They are the "mother ship" from
> which instances of the server pour forth to perform work.
>
> So the "producing factory" sense is correct here.

And in translations, I think simply "producers" could be suitable as
well (I did it that way in Serbian :-).

Another suggestion for *translators* could be "providers" (they
"provide" clients with instances -- those who produce, also provide
others with that products) -- if that term can be appropriately
translated.

> However, that does not get around the issue, as has been noted, that
> this is a highly technical term. Factory objects and classes and
> functions are not really in common use outside computer science. So
> if we are exposing the term to users in more places than just the --
> help string of gnome-terminal and a couple of error messages, there
> is a bug report or two required for some future GNOME releases.

I'll attach a simple result of "grep" for factory in current releases
(both core Gnome desktop, and other software -- but only those that I
have translated to Serbian [most of them are]).

So, there you go -- anyone looking forward to handling these? ;-)

Though, they don't seem to be so numerous, and I've never seen them
actually (they might be showing in terminal when eg. Nautilus embeds
Epiphany, or something like that).

Cheers,
Danilo
battfink/po/sr.po:msgid "battfink automation factory"
bonobo-activation/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory `%s' returned NIL for `%s'"
eog/po/sr.po:msgid "EOG Image collection view factory"
eog/po/sr.po:msgid "EOG Image viewer factory"
epiphany/po/sr.po:msgid "Epiphany Nautilus view factory"
epiphany/po/sr.po:msgid "Epiphany content view component's factory"
evolution/po/sr.po:msgid "Could not create the alarm notify service factory"
fontilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for the fontilus context menu"
fontilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Fontilus context menu factory"
galeon/po/sr.po:msgid "Galeon Nautilus view factory"
galeon/po/sr.po:msgid "Galeon content view component's factory"
gal/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory"
gcm/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for creating the gcmapplet Applet"
gcm/po/sr.po:msgid "GcmApplet Applet Factory"
gdl/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for the Gnome Symbol Browser control."
gdl/po/sr.po:msgid "Gnome Symbol Browser Control Factory"
gedit/po/sr.po:msgid "Gedit viewer factory"
gedit/po/sr.po:msgid "gedit automation factory"
ggv-HEAD/po/sr.po:msgid "GGV PostScript viewer factory"
ggv/po/sr.po:msgid "GGV PostScript viewer factory"
gimp/po/sr.po:msgid "Reset to factory defaults"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "AccessX Status Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Keyboard Accessibility Status Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Battstat Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "CD Player Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for CD player applet"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Charpicker Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Drive Mount Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for drive mount applet"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Geyes Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "GKB Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Gtik Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for creating the weather applet."
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Gweather Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for creating inbox monitors."
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Inbox Monitor Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "MiniCommander Applet Factory"
gnome-applets/po/sr.po:msgid "Sticky Notes Applet Factory"
gnome-control-center/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for the fontilus context menu"
gnome-control-center/po/sr.po:msgid "Fontilus context menu factory"
gnomeicu/po/sr.po:msgid "GnomeICU Applet Factory"
gnome-media/po/sr.po:"Cannot create CDDBTrackEditor factory.\n"
gnomemeeting/po/sr.po:"location. Factory mode disabled.\n"
gnomemeeting/po/sr.po:"Error registering GnomeMeeting with the activation service; factory mode "
gnome-netstatus/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for Network Monitor applet"
gnome-netstatus/po/sr.po:msgid "Network Monitor Factory"
gnome-panel/po/sr.po:msgid "Clock Applet Factory"
gnome-panel/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for creating clock applets."
gnome-panel/po/sr.po:msgid "Wanda Factory"
gnome-panel/po/sr.po:msgid "Notification Area Factory"
gnome-panel/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for the window navigation related applets"
gnome-panel/po/sr.po:msgid "Window Navigation Applet Factory"
gnome-panel/po/sr.po:msgid "Test Bonobo Applet Factory"
gnome-terminal/po/sr.po:"location. Factory mode disabled.\n"
gnome-terminal/po/sr.po:"Error registering terminal with the activation service; factory mode "
gnome-vfs/po/sr.po:msgid "Standard Moniker factory"
gnumeric/po/sr.po:msgid "Gnumeric Workbook viewer factory"
gpdf/po/sr.po:msgid "GNOME PDF viewer factory"
gpdf/po/sr.po:msgid "PDF document viewer factory"
gswitchit/po/sr.po:msgid "GNOME XKB applet factory"
gswitchit/po/sr.po:msgid "GSwitchIt applet factory"
libbonobo/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory `%s' returned NIL for `%s'"
libbonobo/po/sr.po:msgid "Cannot activate object from factory"
libbonobo/po/sr.po:msgid "Standard Moniker factory"
libbonobo/po/sr.po:msgid "generic factory 'new' moniker"
libbonobo/po/sr.po:msgid "Bonobo Echo server factory"
libbonobo/po/sr.po:msgid "Echo component factory"
libbonoboui/po/sr.po:msgid "corba factory"
libbonoboui/po/sr.po:msgid "The factory pointer"
libgda/po/sr.po:msgid "Could not initiate Sybase component factory"
libgnomedb/po/sr.po:msgid "Database component factory"
libgnomedb/po/sr.po:msgid "Database Moniker factory"
libgnome/po/sr.po:msgid "Extra Moniker factory"
nautilus-cd-burner/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for the nautilus-cd-burner context menu"
nautilus-cd-burner/po/sr.po:msgid "nautilus-cd-burner context menu factory"
nautilus-gtkhtml/po/sr.po:msgid "GtkHTML view component's factory"
nautilus-gtkhtml/po/sr.po:msgid "Nautilus GtkHTML view factory"
nautilus-media/po/sr.po:msgid "Audio view component's factory"
nautilus-media/po/sr.po:msgid "Audio view factory"
nautilus-media/po/sr.po:msgid "Nautilus Test view factory"
nautilus-media/po/sr.po:msgid "Test view component's factory"
nautilus-medija/po/sr.po:msgid "Audio view component's factory"
nautilus-medija/po/sr.po:msgid "Audio view factory"
nautilus-medija/po/sr.po:msgid "Nautilus Test view factory"
nautilus-medija/po/sr.po:msgid "Test view component's factory"
nautilus-mozilla/po/sr.po:msgid "Mozilla Nautilus view factory"
nautilus-mozilla/po/sr.po:msgid "Mozilla content view component's factory"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for Nautilus component adapter factories"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for Nautilus component adapter factories "
nautilus/po/sr.po:"Factory for objects that wrap ordinary Bonobo Controls or Embeddables to "
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Nautilus component adapter factory"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for hardware view"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for text view"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Text view factory"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "throbber factory"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "throbber object factory"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for Nautilus shell and file manager"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Nautilus factory"
nautilus/po/sr.po:msgid "Nautilus metafile factory"
nautilus/po/sr.po:"attempting to locate the factory.Killing bonobo-activation-server and "
nautilus-rc/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for package context menu"
nautilus-rc/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for package view"
nautilus-rc/po/sr.po:msgid "package context menu factory"
nautilus-rc/po/sr.po:msgid "package view factory"
nautilus-rpm/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for RPM properties_page"
nautilus-rpm/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for RPM view"
nautilus-rpm/po/sr.po:msgid "RPM properties page factory"
nautilus-rpm/po/sr.po:msgid "RPM view factory"
pong/po/sr.po:msgid "Pong test entry factory"
quick-lounge-applet/po/sr.po:msgid "Factory for the Quick Lounge applet"
quick-lounge-applet/po/sr.po:msgid "Quick Lounge Factory"
rhythmbox/po/sr.po:msgid "Rhythmbox shell factory"
sodipodi/po/sr.po:msgid "Could not create sodipodi-svg-doc factory"
stickynotes_applet/po/sr.po:msgid "Sticky Notes Applet Factory"
yelp/po/sr.po:msgid "Yelp Factory"