Re: Translating keyboard layout data

> I've come to the following conclusion:
> We need to separate it out somehow AND make sure that it's included in
> control-center (a new module for just one file is overhead, right?).
> Solution:
> - Add a new po directory to the gnome-control-center CVS module
> (po-keyboard)
Is this possible? I did not know...
> - Explicitly license the file xfree86.xml.in and the generated
> xfree86.xml file under GPL as well as under the X11 license. We have to
> beg all authors to permit GPL relicensing
> - Tell translators through a po-keyboard/README file that their work
> will be used under the X11 license terms, too
> - Add a new module to the status pages (gnome-keyboard)
> I could easily do all of that - if you want me two.
> Comments, suggestions?
Probably you did not clearly understand the problem. The g-c-c itself
does not need this file in its distribution at all (well, g-c-c depends
on libxklavier which uses this file from XFree - and includes this file
as fallback solution). The main thing - g-c-c tarballs are going to be
shipped without it. The only reason to include this file into g-c-c is
exactly "a new module for just one file is overhead" - Jody's idea is
not to bother translators by asking them to maintain new module. But I
am not sure this file should be dual-licensed just because of
organizational hassle involved. Actually, at the moment this one file
_is_ a separate module at sourceforge (well, technically there are many
files - translations, autoconf/automake ...). Just because it has a
license separate from libxklavier/gswitchit.

About the authors. Actually, the idea is that every person creating new
layout/option/... description for XFree automatically updates this file
himself. Now it is NOT really working this way - because these people
only update the _final_ xfree86.xml in XFree86 CVS - not the original
xfree86.xml.in (in SF CVS) - so I take all the changes, backport them to
xml.in. And I am not sure all these people (it is probably some croud -
from all over the world) will be happy to support dual-licensing.

I have doubts whether dual-licensing is reasonable (and really
achievable - taking the number of people who contributed layouts to
XFree) in this case.

IMHO the least evil would be to create separate module (though I agree
it really looks like overkill). Also, I hope one day this module will
disappear from GNOME CVS and go into XFree CVS (once they are brave
enough to introduce dependancy on intltool).

Regards,

--
Sergey