Translating keyboard layout data

As we work to merge gswitchit into gnome-control-center several
issues have come up relating to translations.  There is a file

    xfree86.xml

which contains a list of the available layouts and their translated
names.  It is included as part of Xfree86 4.3.x.  The content will
be displayed in the keyboard capplet, and there are a few reasons that
I'd like to see it included and translated by GNOME

    - It is not installed by earlier versions of Xfree86, nor is it
      available for all X variants.  Hence people running older X
      servers (debian) or on other platforms (*nix) will not be able
      to use the new functionality.  So I've requested that we
      install a copy as a fallback.

    - The file is only translated into a few languages right now,
      which means that the host of unsupported languages will have
      untranslated strings in the gnome keyboard capplet.

The questions that have come up are

    - What license applies to translations ?  The main upstream
      source for this file is on the x servers.  We'd be feeding
      your translations back there as patches.  Can we have
      translations for something using the X license done in the
      GPLed control-center ?

    - Would it be easier for translators if we put the file in its
      own module, or if it was included in an existing set of
      POTFILES such as gnome-control-center ?

Thanks