Re: Updating po files on make dist

On 2003-05-23(Fri) 19:43:05 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
> I was expecting that the fuzzy merger would do a better job when being
> run frequently. I am not sure since I didn't do any tests but I would
> expect more helpful fuzzy matches if the po file is synced with the
> changes from time to time.

Under my interpretation of gettext source, two msgid's are fuzzy if

(number of chars in common) / (average length of 2 strings) >= 0.6

[ feel free to correct me, I'm not a coder ]
so fuzzy merger algorithm would do it WORSE if being run more
frequently. Sorta like saving an image as jpeg, then reopen it, and
resave it as jpeg -- adding more inaccuracy everytime.

In reality, such things do happen. If I'm trying to update a long
forgotten translation, there are really many ridiculous 'fuzzy'
messages that has nothing to do with original msgid. This happened
to me several times, though not too frequently.
Frequently maintained translation doesn't have this problem.

Abel