Re: GIMP menu items

Karl Eichwalder <keichwa@gmx.net> writes:

> Sven Neumann <sven@gimp.org> writes:
>
> > However we wrote this code some years ago and perhaps in the meantime
> > someone has come up with a more elegant way to handle menu
> > translation. I'd be happy to hear about it.
>
> It's okay to see the complete path in msgid, but the translator must be
> allowed to leave out all parts but the last.  This is what the gettext
> manual proposes:

IMHO, the gettext manual is almost completely on crack here. I've
always thought that section was written before anyone had much
first-hand experience with gettext GUI translation.

The problem with clashing strings seems theoretically as a big one.
But in practice it never seems to be a problem. That's at least my
experience with Gnome. I haven't encountered any grave incidences yet,
or heard about it here.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/