Re: GIMP menu items (was: Discussion topics for GU4DEC BoF)

Hi,

Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:

> Sven Neumann <sven@gimp.org> writes:
>
> > Ole Laursen <olau@hardworking.dk> writes:
> >
> > > Yeah, I guess quite a lot of plugins would have to be changed. But
> > > can't it be done more or less mechanically?
> >
> > I'm not that much afraid of the plug-ins but I wonder how we could
> > possible do this in the core. Actually some quite nasty code that
> > strips the prefix from the translated strings would become redundant
> > but it would mean that we have to add extra strings for translation
> > since GtkItemFactory wants the full strings. This sounds like a
> > potential source of errors.
>
> So it's a misfeature in the interface of GTK+?

from reading your mails, I got the impression that not all GTK+ apps
do it the GIMP way but I am not aware of a clean and sane way that
does not use full menu paths marked for translation.

I wouldn't call this a misfeature of GTK+ since it is very convenient
to be able to refer to a menu-item using it's path and it makes
setting up menus relatively simple. There are probably other ways to
integrate translation into this framework but at the moment I can't
think of a better approach than the one we took. However we wrote this
code some years ago and perhaps in the meantime someone has come up
with a more elegant way to handle menu translation. I'd be happy to
hear about it.

Salut, Sven