Re: unmaintained translations and how to handle them

ons 2003-06-25 klockan 17.14 skrev Sven Neumann:
> My plan is to remove all languages from ALL_LINGUAS for which po files
> are not in UTF-8 encoding. This seems like a good indicator for being
> unmaintained. I will accept to resurrect a particular language if
> someone feels responsible enough to run intltool-unicodify and commit
> the converted po files back to CVS. Do you agree that this is a
> reasonable way to handle the situation?

Actually, I think even an unmaintained translation is better than none
at all in the running application, because an unmaintained translation
at least gives an important visible clue that there *is* some basic
language support which needs finishing, encouraging others to improve it
if they care for it. That's at least how it was for me.

An unmaintained translation is usually not a pretty sight in a running
application, but if you really need a translation to be able to use the
software, an unmaintained partial translation is at least better than
none. And, as said, there is no better way of visually demonstrating a
"FIXME" wrt the translation. The only way many people discover that an
application can be localized at all is by seeing it in action...

So I'd recommend leaving all the translations in ALL_LINGUAS, but
converting them all to UTF-8 if they aren't already. This is also how we
did it for most other GTK+ 2 software modules in GNOME cvs. If you're ok
with that, I can do the conversion for the po files that are not already
UTF-8.